For over a century, Algoma Steel Inc has a proud history and strong traditions as an industry leader in the manufacture of hot and cold-rolled carbon and high strength low alloy steel sheet. and we are the only plate producer in Canada. We are integral to the manufacture of many of our modern buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications across North America. Today’s steel industry is changing rapidly and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need to be successful. We invite all who have talent and a drive for superior performance, the desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our business to continue our century-old tradition of providing quality steel products. quality to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating cutting-edge environmental management and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
Reporting to the Human Resources (HR) Manager, HRBP – Services works with all levels of employees (“Clients”). The HRBP actively supports discussions and provides knowledge on best practices in their field, ensuring effective and consistent compliance with collective agreements (CBAs), employment contracts, policies and legislation.
- Advises and assists Clients on issues that have an impact on culture. This includes training and interpretation on matters related to the application of laws such as the Employment Standards Act and the Human Rights Code, company policies and procedures and rules of conduct. of employees (ECR).
- Collaborates with customer groups on various HR processes such as task design, organizational structure, sequence lines, planning, etc.
- Provides coaching and advice on issues related to conflict resolution, attendance management, goal setting and performance management, succession planning and talent management, organizational change and discipline.
- Helps to facilitate positive working relations (LR) between the company and the unions. This involves providing advice to managers and supervisors on matters related to the grievance process and its administration. Provides recommendations to anticipate grievances.
- Conduct investigations, summarize findings, recommend and help implement solutions.
- Prepares and attends arbitration cases as needed.
- Assist in contract negotiations by researching issues and providing relevant information and support throughout the process.
- Leads recruitment and onboarding efforts to find quality individuals to meet Algoma’s short, medium and long term needs.
- Directs / participates in special projects as assigned.
Basic qualifications and skills
- University or college diploma in HR or business administration OR equivalent work experience
- 3 years of HR / LR experience in a unionized environment
- Experience in HR / LR in a unionized industrial / manufacturing environment is preferred
- Knowledge of labor / employment law
- HR experience in interpreting and advising on the collection of collective agreements
- Demonstrated skills in negotiation and facilitation
- Strong demonstrated time management skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of discretion
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in improving systems and processes
- Project management skills
- Experience with MS Excel and PowerPoint, HRIS
Algoma offers a competitive salary including performance bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package and a defined contribution pension plan.
If you have the required qualifications for this position and are embarking on a stimulating career within a dynamic company, within a community offering a superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply before October 26, 2021.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.